Many of you have asked for the recipe that I use for my Toasted Coconut Dream Cake. Well, here it is. If you make it, let me know how it turns out. It's sure to be a crowd pleaser!
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 cups flaked coconut
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
4 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons milk
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar(powdered sugar)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
2) Blend the cake mix, pudding mix, water, eggs and oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed for 4 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of the coconut and the chopped walnuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
3) Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans for 15 minutes then remove and finish cooling on rack.
4) To Make Frosting: Melt 2 tbsp of the butter or margarine in a skillet. Add the 2 cups flaked coconut and stir constantly over low heat until golden brown. (about 30-45 mins) Spread coconut on absorbent paper to cool.
5) Cream the remaining 2 tablespoons butter or margarine with the cream cheese. Add the milk and confectioners' sugar alternately, beating well. Add the vanilla and stir in 1 3/4 cups of the toasted coconut. (you can double the frosting recipe to ensure enough frosting)
6) To Assemble Cake: Spread tops of cooled cake layers with some of the frosting. Stack them and then frost the sides of the cake. Sprinkle Cake with the remaining toasted coconut. You can stick in the refridgerator for 30-60 mins to firm up the frosting before cutting if desired.