Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Next Leap Into Fatherhood


Today starts a whole new journey in my quest for being a good father. Brad is going back into his show at the Kennedy Center for about 10 weeks. Combining the 8 shows a week he will do with his full-time day job makes for a very busy (and tired) Dada, but he is very excited to be back in theater where his true passion is fulfilled. I couldn't be more proud of him.

What this means for Pop (me) is that I have solo duty every night (except Monday) while Dad is in the show. I need to become Super Pop. Although it will be an adjustment, I'm really looking forward to it and the challenges I will face. Here is what I'm looking forward to:

  • forcing myself to leave work "early" every day at 5pm (most ppl call this normal departure time) to pick Kyler up
  • enjoying one-on-one dinners with my son and the conversations we will have
  • being creative with my ability to entertain a very energetic 2 yr old for several hours
  • seeing if I can still maintain sanity and balance
  • supporting my fiance with his passion and welcoming him home each night
Brad has had to be "solo dad" every time I have had a work trip, and I know how difficult it can be. Am I up for the challenge?  Hec ya!  Will I have some epic failures?  Ummm, hi, yes...do you know me?  If Murphy Brown can do it....so can I!!!!  (actually, I can't believe I just referenced Murphy Brown)  Brad will still be home each night after Kyler is asleep and then again most of the day on the weekend. So no biggie, right? 

I know I can do this. I know so many positive things will come from this. I know I will grow from this experience. I know I will love my son even more. I know I can do this. I can take this leap.....this leap of faith. 

Watch me!