Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Next Leap Into Fatherhood


Today starts a whole new journey in my quest for being a good father. Brad is going back into his show at the Kennedy Center for about 10 weeks. Combining the 8 shows a week he will do with his full-time day job makes for a very busy (and tired) Dada, but he is very excited to be back in theater where his true passion is fulfilled. I couldn't be more proud of him.

What this means for Pop (me) is that I have solo duty every night (except Monday) while Dad is in the show. I need to become Super Pop. Although it will be an adjustment, I'm really looking forward to it and the challenges I will face. Here is what I'm looking forward to:

  • forcing myself to leave work "early" every day at 5pm (most ppl call this normal departure time) to pick Kyler up
  • enjoying one-on-one dinners with my son and the conversations we will have
  • being creative with my ability to entertain a very energetic 2 yr old for several hours
  • seeing if I can still maintain sanity and balance
  • supporting my fiance with his passion and welcoming him home each night
Brad has had to be "solo dad" every time I have had a work trip, and I know how difficult it can be. Am I up for the challenge?  Hec ya!  Will I have some epic failures?  Ummm, hi, yes...do you know me?  If Murphy Brown can do it....so can I!!!!  (actually, I can't believe I just referenced Murphy Brown)  Brad will still be home each night after Kyler is asleep and then again most of the day on the weekend. So no biggie, right? 

I know I can do this. I know so many positive things will come from this. I know I will grow from this experience. I know I will love my son even more. I know I can do this. I can take this leap.....this leap of faith. 

Watch me!

6 comments:

  1. Of course you can do it! Of this, I have no doubt! Both you guys are amazing parents and part of that is the love and respect you have for each other and that is key! It's hard to maintain a balance when one parent is crazy busy and I''ve been there, done that and it's no picnic but you can do it! Channel your "inner wonder woman" and ALWAYS have wine on hand! Love you both and go get 'em, tiger! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I've got my golden cuffs ready.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got this!

    Btw...what show is Brad going to be in? And I'm assuming you mean the Kennedy Center in DC. Just curious because I love a good show! It may give me an excuse to make a road trip and visit some friends down that way. (I'm always looking for a reason for a road trip!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind...I just realized how "stalkerish" this post sounds. Lol...believe me, I'm not but still...

      Good luck to Brad in his show and to you in being "Super Pop".

      Delete
    2. Not at all.....I didn't take it that way. Just haven't had a quick chance to respond. To answer your question, yes, he is performing at the Kennedy Center in Shear Madness. It's a great show and he's really really good in it. It would be a good road trip!

      Thanks for the kind words and following our blog. Always feel free to leave comments.

      Delete